Herpa HE559775 – 1/200 Scale Yak-40 Diecast Model
Herpa Wings Series
|Length||10.2 cm||4.00 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||12.5 cm||4.92 in||Approx|
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Undercarriage fixed extended
- Air stair displayable lowered or raised
- Display stand included.
1/72 Scale Yakovlev Yak-40, Cubana de Aviacion – Herpa HE559775
Herpa HE559775 diecast model replicates in 1/200 scale the Yakovlev Yak-40, registration CU-T1221 in the livery of Cubana de Aviacion, circa 1980’s.
The Yakovlev Yak-40 is a Soviet Union three-engined regional jet airliner that first flew on October 21, 1966, and entered service in September 1968 with Aeroflot. Designed to replace the Lisunov Li-2s (Soviet-built DC-3s), Ilyushin Il-12s and Il-14s. Able to operate from poorly equipped airports with short unpaved runways in bad weather. It was the first Soviet airliner designed to Western airworthiness requirements, certified by Italy and West Germany. The design changed little over time; the Yak-40D had two additional fuel tanks and adaptation for multiple roles. The -DTS is a troop carrier-paramedic variant, -K a cargo-passenger, others were equipped as flying laboratories for research and testing. A number serve as corporate or government VIP transports. Produced ended in 1978, with 1011 airframes built, exported to 18 countries.
The airframe is mostly an aluminium alloy structure with a semi-monocoque fuselage, low mounted straight cantilever wings and ‘T’ tail. The retractable undercarriage is a tricycle type. The flight crew of three consisted of two pilots, flight engineer and the passenger cabin seats up to 32 passengers.
It uses three Ivchenko AI-25 medium-bypass turbofan engines, mounted at the rear of the fuselage, one externally on each side and a third internally, fed via a dorsal air-intake through an “S-duct”. The Yak-40 has a cruise speed of 470km/h (292 mph), a maximum cruising speed of 550km/h (342mph) with a service altitude of 8,000 m (26,240 ft) with a maximum range of 1,8000 km (1,118 mi).
Cubana de Aviación S.A.
Cubana de Aviación S.A., commonly known as Cubana, is the national airline and largest of Cuba. Founded in October 1929 by Clement Melville Keys, named Compañía Nacional Cuba de Aviación Curtiss, as a flying school and charter service, it began scheduled services in 1930. Pan American Airways acquired the airline in May 1932 and from 1945 offered shares to the Cuban public, entirely withdrawing in July 1954. The communist government nationalised the airline in May 1959.