Oxford Diecast AC090S – 1/72 Scale Fw 190A-8 Diecast Model
Oxford Aviation Series
|Length||12.4 cm||4.88 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||14.6 cm||5.75 in||Approx|
- Constructed with metal and plastic component
- Undercarriage fixed retracted
- Display stand included.
1/72 Scale Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8, Luftwaffe – Oxford Diecast AC090S
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A
The Focke-Wulf 190 Würger (Shrike) is a German single-engine, single-seat fighter. Designed by Kurt Tank, it first flew on June 1, 1939, entering service in August 1941. Produced in numerous variants to fulfil a range of missions, including day fighter, fighter-bomber, ground-attack and night fighter. It outperformed the Supermarine Spitfire, until the introduction of the Spitfire Mk IX in July 1942.
The Fw 190A series was a fighter and ground attack variant, and although superb in these roles it lacked the performance needed at the higher altitudes to attack heavy bombers. The -8 was the most numerous of the -A variants.
Airframe construction is mainly of metal with a semi-monocoque fuselage, low mounted cantilever wing and tail of conventional design. The retractable undercarriage is a tailwheel type with the main units mount in the wings. Flight control surfaces are fabric-covered and used rigid pushrods instead of the usual cables. Electrically powered equipment was extensively used, including the undercarriage.
The Fw 190A uses a single BMW 801 14-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, driving a three-bladed constant-speed propeller. The Fw 190A-8 had a cruise speed of 585 km/h (363mph), a maximum speed of 635 km/h (394 mph), a range of 615 km (382 mi) and a service ceiling of 9,600 m (31,496 ft).
Armament consists of two 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131 machine guns mounted internally atop of the engine, four 20 mm MG 151/20 E cannon; one in each wing root and outboard wing. The A-8/R2 replaced the outer wing 20 mm cannon with a 30 mm (1.18 in) MK 108 cannon. An optional cannon pod or rocket launchers under each wing. One 500 kg (1,102 lb) bomb or drop tank on the fuselage centre line.
Rudolf Klemm (1918-1989) joined the Luftwaffe in 1937 as a flying instructor before transferring to JG 54 based on the Eastern Front in December 1941. He finished the war credited with 42 victories, 13 on the Western Front, awards included; the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross and German Cross in Gold. Post-war, he ran his small aircraft flying school.