Oxford Diecast AC050 – 1/72 Scale Lysander Mk.IIIA Diecast Model
Oxford Aviation Series
|Length||12.9 cm||5.01 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||21.2 cm||8.34 in||Approx|
Diecast model features include:
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Display stand included.
1/72 Scale Westland Lysander Mk. IIIA, RCAF – Oxford Diecast AC050
Oxford Diecast AC050 diecast model replicates in 1/72 scale the Westland Lysander Mk. IIIA, serial number 2363. In the black and yellow stripes of a British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) air gunnery target tug, while with the No.8 Bombing & Gunnery School, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).
The Westland Lysander is a British two-seat, single-engine army co-operation and liaison aircraft that first flew on June 15, 1936, and entered service during June 1938. A total failure in its primary role, vulnerable to the modern fighter, deligated to secondary squadrons for target towing air-sea rescue, radar calibration. With its exceptional STOL capabilities, it also had success flying clandestine missions, dropping or retrieving agents behind enemy lines. The RAF retired their last Lysanders in 1946 and Canada in 1944. When production ended in 1943, 1,786 Lysanders of all variants had been built, including 225 in Canada.
The airframe construction is a metal framework with timber stringers covered in fabric. The wing is high mounted, braced to the undercarriage and the tail is of a conventional layout. The fixed undercarriage is a tailwheel type with the main units, attached to the fuselage with large streamlined spat that contained a machine gun and removable wing stubs that could carry small bombs or supply canisters.
The aircraft uses a single Bristol Mercury single-row nine-cylinder radial engine driving a three-bladed propeller except for the Mk.II which used the Bristol Perseus XII. The Lysander has a maximum speed of 341 km/h (212 mph), range of 966 km (600 mi) and a service ceiling of 6,550 m (21,500 ft).
Armament consisted of two forward-firing .303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns in wheel fairings, two flexible mounted in the rear cockpit. Four 9 kg (20 lb) bombs under the fuselage and another 227 kg (500 lb) on optional stub wings.
Lysander RCAF s/n 2363
This Lysander Mk.IIa was built at Malton, Ontario in June 1942 and served with No.8 Bombing & Gunnery School, Lethbridge, Alberta. Retired from the RCAF in 1946, sold to a Prairie farmer and in 1975 donated to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in 1975. Restoration started in 1983 with the Lysander making its first post-restoration flight in 2009.