Oxford Diecast AC048 – 1/72 Scale Do 335 Pfeil (Arrow) Diecast Model
Oxford Aviation Series
|Length||19.24 cm||7.57 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||19.17 cm||7.55 in||Approx|
Diecast model features include:
- Constructed with metal and plastic component
- Undercarriage fixed retracted
- Display stand included with this model.
1/72 Scale Dornier Do 335 Pfeil – Oxford Diecast AC048
Dornier Do 335 Pfeil
The Dornier Do 335 Pfeil (Arrow) is a German World War II, single-seat, twin-engine fighter, one of the fastest propeller-driven aircraft. The maiden flight took place on October 2, 1943, entering service the following year. About 48 airframes were completed before the war ended.
The airframe construction is mainly of metal with a semi-monocoque fuselage, low mounted cantilever wing. The two engines are mounted to the fuselage in a push-pull configuration to lower aerodynamic drag. The tail is of a conventional design with a ventral fin to protect the rear propellor against striking the ground on take off. The single-seat cockpit has an ejection seat as well as a dorsal tail and rear propeller that the pilot could eject to assist in a successful bailing out. The retractable undercarriage is a tricycle type with the main units mount in the wings, folding inwards, the nose unit retracts rearwards.
It uses two Daimler-Benz DB 603E-1 V-12 inverted liquid-cooled piston engines, driving 3-bladed VDM constant-speed. The Arrow had a cruise speed of 685 km/h (426 mph), a maximum speed of 763 km/h (474 mph), a range of 1,395 km (867 mi) and a service ceiling of 11,400 m (37,400 ft).
Armament consisted of one 30 mm (1.18 in) MK 103 cannon firing through the propeller hub and two 15 mm MG-151/15 cannon firing from the top cowling synchronised to fire through the propellor. The Arrow could carry up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) of bombs internally and on a single hardpoint under each wing.
Do 335 VG + PH
Do 335 A-0, identification code VG + PH, was completed on September 30, 1944, the second of ten A-0 (preproduction variant) built. Captured by Allied forces on April 29, 1945, at Oberpfaffenhofen near Münich and along with a second airframe shipped to the USA for testing by the US Navy. Donated to the Smithsonian in 1961, returned to Dornier for restoration during 1974. Then placed on display in Germany until returning to the Smithsonian in 1986.