Oxford Diecast AC044 – 1/72 Scale Henschel Hs 126A-1 Diecast Model
Oxford Aviation Series
|Length||15.1 cm||5.91 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||20.1 cm||7.91 in||Approx|
Diecast model features include:
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Display stand included.
1/72 Scale Henschel Hs 126A-1 – Oxford Diecast AC044
Condor Legion Service
Oxford Diecast AC044 diecast model replicates in 1/72 scale the Henschel Hs 126A-1, in the colour scheme and markings while the aircraft served with the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. In 1938, Aufklärungsstaffel 88 (Reconnaissance Group) of the Condor Legion received six Hs 126A-1s to replace the Heinkel He 45 for use in the reconnaissance and light bomber role. One was lost, with the remaining five transferred to the Spanish Air Force at the war’s end.
Henschel Hs 126
The Henschel Hs 126 is a German two-seat reconnaissance and observation aircraft based on the Henschel Hs 122. The maiden flight took place during August 1936 and entered service with Aufklärungsgruppe 35 in 1938. Its combat debut occurred in Spain as part of the Condor Legion with A/88. By 1942 the Hs 126 had begun to be phased out of front-line service. Replaced by the Fieseler Fi 156 Storch and Focke Wulf Fw 189, but retained for secondary roles like target-towing and as a nocturnal light attacker with light bomb loads. Production ended in 1941 with around 800 airframes built in two variants, the Hs 126A-1 and the Hs 126B-1.
The airframe was an all-metal stressed-skin monoplane with a semi-enclosed cockpit. The level angular parasol wing has a slight swept-back with straight edges. The fixed undercarriage was a tailwheel type with the main cantilever units mounted to the fuselage.
The Hs 126A-1 used a single ABMW 132DC engine while the Hs26B-1used Bramo 323 Fafnir, both were nine-cylinder air-cooled radials, driving a three-bladed propeller. The HS 126B-1 had a maximum speed of 355 km/h (221 mph), a range of 720 km (447 mi) and a service ceiling of 8230 m (27,000 ft).
Armament consisted of a single synchronised 7.92mm MG 17 above the engine and one 7.92mm MG 15 in the rear cockpit. With up to 50 kg (110 lb) of bombs or extra fuel tank.
The Condor Legion was a contingent from Nazi Germany’s air force and the army that supported the Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War (July 1936 to March 1939). The Condor Legion developed bombing and fighter strategies, later utilised during the Second World War.