Hobby Master HA7910 – 1/48 Scale P-12E Diecast Model
Hobby Master HA7910 diecast model replicates in 1/48 scale the Boeing P-12E, ‘B’ Flight Leader’s Aircraft, 308th Observation Squadron, Organized Reserve, 5th Corps Area. Based at Port Columbus Airport, Columbus, Ohio, circa 1939.
Hobby Master 1/48 scale Boeing F-4B/P-12E diecast model details
|Length||12.7 cm||5.00 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||19.0 cm||7.48 in||Approx|
Diecast model features include:
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Display stand included.
308th Observation Squadron
The 308th Observation Squadron formed on June 24, 1921, as part of Organized Reserve (Ohio), it was one of the few squadrons of the Organized Reserve that had aircraft. The 308th Observation Squadron based at Port Columbus Airport, Columbus, Ohio was part of the 5th Corps Area. On November 24, 1936, the 308th Observation Squadron amalgamated with the 308th Aero Squadron. The squadron disbanded on May 31, 1942.
Under The National Defense Act of 1920, the continental United States was broken up into nine “corps areas”. The corps areas were for administration, training and tactical control of the army, replacing the six geographical (or territorial) military departments of the continental United States. Three overseas commands, the Hawaiian, Panama Canal and Philippine departments remained. The Fifth Corps Area encompassed Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia, headquartered at Fort Benjamin Harrison Indiana and Fort Hays in Columbus, Ohio.
The Boeing F4B is an American single radial engined biplane fighter. It first flew in June 1928 and entered service in 1929 with the US Navy’s VB-1B Red Rippers. Developed to replace the Grumman F3B and Boeing F2B, that were in service with US Navy and US Marine Corps. The F4B / P12 used the Wasp engine of the F3B but had better performance due to its smaller size and weight. It was the last wooden-winged biplane fighter produced by Boeing and used by the U.S. military. Later ordered by the US Army Air Corps, designated P-12. The US Navy and US Marine Corps replaced the F4B with the Grumman F2F/F3F series in 1938. The US Army Air Corps replaced the P-12 with the Boeing P-26 in 1934-35.
The P-12E variant had a semi-monocoque metal fuselage. Other improvements included modified vertical tail surfaces and some had tailwheels.;