|Length||13.0 cm||5.1 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||16.7 cm||6.6 in||Approx|
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Undercarriage fixed extended
- Display stand not included.
Herpa HE580632 – 1/72 Scale de Havilland Vampire (DH.100)FB. 5, RAF
Herpa diecast model HE580632 replicates in 1/72 scale the de Havilland Vampire FB. 5 serial number WA331 of No. 112 Squadron, 2nd Tactical Air Force (2nd TAF) Royal Air Force (RAF), circa 1951.
No. 112 Squadron, RAF
Formed on 30 July 1917 as part of the Royal Flying Corps. It was the first unit to use the famous “Shark Mouth” logo on Curtiss P-40s. The squadron operated the de Havilland Vampire FB. 5, a single-seat fighter-bomber variant, based at RAF Fassberg, Germany from 1951 until 1954. It became a Bloodhound surface-to-air missile unit in 1960, disbanded in July 1975.
de Havilland Vampire
The de Havilland Vampire is a British single turbojet engine, fighter, the second jet-powered aircraft to enter service with the RAF. Later developed for a night fighter, fighter/bomber, trainer roles and shipboard use (Sea Vampire). The first flight took place on September 20, 1943, entering service in 1946 with the RAF. Successful in the export market, the Vampire served in approximately 30 air forces. Withdrawn from RAF service in 1966, and the Swiss Air Force, the last Vampire user, in 1990. Manufactured in several variants, production ended in 1961 with, 3,269 Vampires built in England and a further 1,067 under licence abroad.
The airframe has a central nacelle, constructed mainly of wood, containing the enclosed cockpit, armament and engine: Aluminium alloy, mid-mounted tapering cantilever wing, twin-boom and tail assembly. The tail consists of a fin mounted the rear of each boom with a single tailplane connecting the two. The undercarriage is a retractable tailwheel type.
It is powered by a single de Havilland Goblin 3, centrifugal-flow turbojet engine (Rolls-Royce Nene; Australian Service) giving the Vampire a cruise speed of 509 km/h (316 mph), a maximum speed of 855 km/h (531 mph), a service ceiling of 13,000 m (42,800 ft) and range of 1,960 km (1,060 mi).
Armament consisted of four 20 mm (0.79 in) Hispano Mk. V cannon mounted internally low in the nose. External stations for up to eight rockets or two 225 kg (500 lb) bombs or two drop-tanks.