|Length||18.6 cm||7.3 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||20.7 cm||8.1 in||Approx|
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Undercarriage displayable extended or retracted
- Removable crew figurine
- Canopy displayable opened or closed
- Display stand included.
Hobby Master HA8717 – 1/48 Scale Messerschmitt BF 109E-3, 3.J/88, Luftwaffe
Hobby Master 1/48 Air Power Series diecast model HA8717 replicates in 1/48 scale the Messerschmitt BF 109E-3 flown by Oberleutnant (Oblt)Hans Schmoller-Haldy of 3. Jagdgruppe 88 (J/88), Condor Legion, Spain 1939.
Jagdgruppe 88 was a German Condor Legion fighter unit established on November 3, 1936, as part of the German support for the Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War (1936 – 1939). J/88 consisted of a Stab and four Staffein.
Hans Schmoller-Haldy arrived in Spain at the end of the war, too late to score any victories. Nevertheless, during World War II, he served with JG 54, recording 14 aerial victories and later with Galland’s fighter command staff. Post-war, he served in the Bundesluftwaffe with the rank of Brigadier General.
Messerschmitt Bf 109
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 is a German single-seat and single-engine fighter. One of the most advanced fighters of the era, it first flew on May 29, 1935, and first saw combat with the “Condor Legion” during the Spanish Civil War and achieved more aerial victories than any other type of World War II. The Luftwaffe withdrew its last Bf 109s from service in May 1945, remaining with the Spanish Air Force until December 1965. Supplied to several allies during the war and postwar Czechoslovakia, Spain, and Switzerland manufactured the Bf 109.
The airframe is an all-metal structure with a semi-monocoque fuselage, enclosed cockpit and retractable landing gear, all advanced features. Wings are low mounted cantilevered with a conventional single-fin tail.
The Junkers Jumo 210, a liquid-cooled inverted V12 engine, powered most pre-war variants, later the Daimler-Benz DB 601 and DB 605 liquid-cooled inverted V12 engines. The BF 109-E had a maximum speed of 560 km/h (348 mph), a range of 660 km (410 mi) and a service ceiling: 10,500 m (34,450 ft).
Armament consisted of two 13 mm (.51 in) synchronised MG 131 machine guns mounted in the engine cowling, atop the engine firing through the propeller arc. A single cannon firing through a blast tube between the engine cylinder banks, known as a Motorkanone. The first with wing-mounted guns was the C-1 with an MG 17 in each wing. Later variants could carry two field-installed 20 mm MG 151/20 under-wing cannon pods and racks for bombs or rockets.