|Length||13.3 cm||5.2 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||16.9 cm||6.6 in||Approx|
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Wire bracing on wings
- Display stand included.
Corgi Aviation Archives AA37709 – 1/48 Scale Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a, 40 Sqn, RAF
Corgi Aviation Archives diecast model AA37709 replicates in 1/48 scale the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a of serial number D3511. As flown by Australian ace Major R S Dallas (39 aerial victories) while the commanding officer of No.40 Squadron RAF, Bruay Aerodrome, France, May 1918.
Roderic Dallas ( 1891 – 1918) was the second-highest scoring Australian ace of World War I, after Robert Little. He became a pilot in the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) in August 1915 and, on the establishment of the Royal Air Force in April 1918, took command of No. 40 Squadron. On June 1, 1918, the day Dallas was killed in action, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and given a wing command. Dallas ended the war as a lieutenant colonel credited with 39 aerial victories, awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), Distinguished Service Cross & Bar (DSC & Bar) and Croix de guerre (France).
Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5
The Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 is a British single-seat, single-engine biplane fighter. It first flew on November 22, 1916, entering service in March 1917 with No. 56 Squadron RFC. The S.E.5 was innately stable, an excellent gun platform, highly maneuverable, and one of the war’s fastest aircraft. With only 77 S.E.5 aircraft completed, production changed to the improved S.E.5a (the most numerous variant) that first flew in early April 1918. The RAF began to withdraw the S.E.5 from service shortly after the Armistice.
The S.E.5 was a conventional design for that era, with a wooden frame, wire bracing, plywood panels, fabric covering and aluminium engine cowling. It was the first aircraft with a pilot-adjustable tail-plane and a steerable tail skid.
The S.E.5a used a single Hispano-Suiza 8 or Wolseley Viper water-cooled V8 engines, driving a two or four-bladed wooden propeller. The S.E.5a had a maximum speed of 222 km/h (138 mph), a service ceiling of 5185 m (17,000 ft), and a range of 483 km (300 mi).
The armament consisted of one 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine guns mounted on the port side in front of the cockpit, synchronised to fire through the propeller arc. One .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis gun on Foster mounting on the upper wing. Up to four 25 lb (11 kg) Cooper bombs, two under each lower wing.