Corgi AA37708 – 1/48 Scale S.E.5a Diecast Model
Corgi AA37708 diecast model replicates in 1/48 scale the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a serial number F-904. Flown by British ace Major C E M Pickthorn MC (5 aerial victories) while commanding officer of No.84 Squadron RAF, stationed in France during November 1918. F904 is now with the Shuttleworth Collection in a flyable condition.
Corgi 1/48 scale S.E.5a diecast model details
|Length||35.0 cm||13.78 in||Approx|
|Wingspan||13.1 cm||8.66 in||Approx|
Diecast model features include:
- Constructed with metal and plastic components
- Wire bracing on wings
- Display stand included.
Charles Edward Murray Pickthorn
Charles Pickthorn ( 1896 – 1938) born in Ilford, Essex, England, commissioned as a second lieutenant with the Army Service Corps in February 1915 and moved to the Royal Flying Corps in June 1916. Posted to No.8 Squadron as an observer/gunner in the B.E.2c. Trained as a pilot and appointed a flying officer in October 1916, posted to No.32 Squadron. Pickthorn was named a flight commander with the temporary rank of captain on March 21, 1917, and awarded the Military Cross in April 1917. On 8 January 1918, made a temporary major and on November 8, 1918, took command of No. 84 Squadron until April 1919. Pickthorn ended the war a major with the Military Cross and five aerial victories. Granted a commission from December 1919 until January 1920 and in the Reserve of Air Force Officers from March 1926 to March 1934.
No. 84 Squadron RAF
No. 84 Squadron is a Search and Rescue unit of the Royal Air Force based at RAF Akrotiri, Greece and operates the Bell Griffin HAR.2 helicopter.
Established on February 1, 1917, as part of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), moved to France in September 1917, flying the SE.5a, returning to the UK in August 1919. It was disbanded in January 1920, reformed in August 1920 in Iraq as a bomber squadron. During World War II operated in Greece, the Middle East and the Far East, postwar the Malayan Emergency. In 1953 mission changed to a transport, stationed in the Middle East, disbanded in October 1971 and reformed again in January 1972. With Westland Whirlwind HAR.10s at RAF Akrotiri and is, the only serving squadron never based in the United Kingdom.
Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5
The Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 is a British single-seat, single-engine biplane fighter. The first flight took place on November 22, 1916, and entered service in March 1917 with No. 56 Squadron RFC. The S.E.5 was innately stable, an excellent gun platform and highly maneuverable, with a top speed of 222 km/h (138 mph ), one of the fastest aircraft of the war. The RAF began to withdraw the S.E.5 from service shortly after the Armistice.
The S.E.5 was of a conventional design for that era, with a wooden frame, wire bracing, plywood panels, fabric covering and aluminium engine cowling. It was the first aircraft with a pilot-adjustable tail-plane and a steerable tail skid. Power was by a Hispano-Suiza water-cooled overhead cam V8 engine, and later the Wolseley Viper, a Hispano Suiza built under licence by Wolseley Motors.
With only 77 S.E.5 aircraft completed, production changed to the improved S.E.5a. A single S.E.5b was built but never put into production, a converted S.E.5a it first flew in early April 1918. It featured a streamlined nose and different span and chorded upper and lower wings, a spinner on the propeller and a retractable underslung radiator.
The S.E.5a was the most numerous version.
- Crew: one
- Length: 6.38 m (20 ft 11 in)
- Wingspan: 8.11 m (26 ft 7 in)
- Height: 2.89 m (9 ft 6 in)
- Empty weight: 639 kg (1,410 lb )
- Engine: single Hispano-Suiza 8 or Wolseley Viper water-cooled V8 engine.
- Guns: one 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine guns mounted on the port side in front of the cockpit, synchronised to fire through the propeller arc. One .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis gun on Foster mounting on the upper wing
- Bombs: up to four 25 lb (11 kg) Cooper bombs, two under each lower wing.
- Maximum speed: 222 km/h (138 mph)
- Range: 483 km (300 mi)
- MTOW: 902 kg (1,988 lb)
- Service ceiling: 5185 m (17,000 ft).